Assistance for Veterans
Veterans have access to a wide range of assistance to help with daily life, and also a possible payment to help enjoy leisure time and help you stay in your home.
The following types of assistance are available at no cost:
- Lawns and gardens
- House cleaning
- Gutters cleaned
- Windows and house washing (external only. Help may also be available for internal windows.)
- Home modifications to assist with access, such as ramps and handrails
- Furniture modifications
- Attendant care (short term only)
- Adaptive clothing and footwear
- Personal alarms – in case of falls etc.
- Assistance with applications for funding of mobility scooters
- Travel allowances (certain conditions apply)
- Medical costs
- Hearing loss
Qualifying for Assistance
Assistance is available to all veterans who have qualifying service which is defined as:
- Qualifying Operational Service. You will have Qualifying Operational Service if you served on one or more specific operations.
- Qualifying Routine Service. You will have qualifying routine service if you served in the New Zealand Army before 1 April 1974.
- Service after 31 March 1974 is also covered.